Started over 30 years ago, instrumental in building the whale watching industry and it’s guidelines in the region, Orca Spirit Adventures and sister-company Orca Sprit Marine Transport, are the whale watching, private charter, and marine transport providers of choice for tourists, school groups, tour operators, and commercial organizations alike.
Orca Spirit Adventures, and Marine Transport, lives and breathes sustainability. We are carbon neutral, offsetting our carbon footprint with Offsetters. We thrive on respecting the environment, while creating extraordinary experiences for our guests.
Orca Spirit Adventures’ mission is to provide the utmost customer service and experience for our guests. We work every day towards being the very best we can be.
· Provide the very best customer service
· Give back to the community
· Providing an exceptional guest experience
· Respecting yourself and others
· Respecting the environment through green initiatives and following wildlife protection guidelines
150 Ton Chief Mate
Full or part time, seasonal
Catalina Adventure is a 95 passenger, 5 crew catamaran.
As a 150 Ton Chief Mate on Catalina Adventure, you will be second in command of a team which strives to educate and inspire guests from all over the world. You will be part of a team which is passionate about wildlife, the guest experience, along with the Coast of British Columbia.
As Chief Mate and second in command on Catalina Adventure, you are responsible to the Master assisting in the safe operation of the vessel, it’s crew and passengers.
Specifically, you will be assisting the Master of the vessel in:
· Ensuring the safety of ships personnel and guests on board
· Operating the vessel in accordance with:
o Transport Canada Standards
o Canada Shipping Act and it’s regulations
o Department of Fisheries and Oceans
o PWWA Whale Watching Guidelines
· Maintaining vessel logs
· Conducting crew drills as required in, safety, firefighting, and search and rescue
· Assist the Master in the startup and shutdown of the vessel each working day
· Ensuring the vessel has sufficient fuel for the start of the next day
· Working with the shore crews in providing our guests with the best possible experience
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
· 150 Ton Chief Mate Certificate
· ROC-MC VHF Radio license
· Marine Advance First Aid
· MED – STCW Basic Safety
· MED – Survival Craft, other than fast rescue boats
· MED – Advance Firefighting
· MED – 5yr Refresher Certificate if required
· Up to date and approved Transport Canada Medical Examination
· SVMO Unrestricted
· To be able to work in a team environment
· Ability to work on your feet for up to 12 hours
· Previous experience in the whale watching industry along with knowledge of local marine environments is considered an asset
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.comAPPLY NOW! • 150 TON CHIEF MATE • Orca Spirit Adventures
Post Date: January 31, 2023 Deadline for Application: April 30, 2023
146 Kingston Street, Marina Level
Victoria's largest adventure company offers you world class Whale Watching /Marine Wildlife tours.
Our tours take you around our coastal waters in search of marine wildlife including: Orcas, Minke, Gray and Humpback whales, porpoises, sea lions, eagles and marine birds. You will also enjoy our magnificent scenery. We are the most experienced and successful whale watching team in Victoria, with over 25 years in operation. Our attention to safety and comfort is uncompromising; our crew is professional, friendly and knowledgeable. Our carefully developed and extensive whale spotting network provides you with excellent sighting success. Your whale watching trip with us will be a highlight of your visit to Victoria! Enjoy the ease and convenience of a downtown "same-site" check-in and departure location with free parking. Departing from the marina level of the Coast Victoria Harbourside Hotel.