The H.R. MacMillan Space Centre is seeking an experienced, enterprising programming professional to join the Centre’s senior leadership team as Director of Human Resources and Operations.
Our mission is learning without frontiers. Our approach centers on creating an accessible environment where people are encouraged to explore and take risks. At the heart of this is wonder and fun, unexpected moments, good conversation and challenging ideas. These qualities are inherent in our interactions with our audience. Our vision is to create experiences of wonder…we dream of a world filled with inquisitive, open-minded individuals who embrace their differences, connected through discovery and united through a deeper sense of shared humanity. This vision is centered on the importance of supporting a scientifically literate society in which individuals can make informed choices about the issues our community faces.
The H.R. MacMillan Space Centre is committed to developing long term, trusted and respectful relationships with Indigenous Nations. Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueum) and sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations, the Centre acknowledges the unique history and connection of the Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueum) and sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh) First Nations to the land.
We acknowledge the spirit and intent of the United Nations Declaration of the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP) and the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada: Calls to Action and recognize our role and responsibility in reconciliation.
The Director of Human Resources and Operations plays a strategic role in designing, developing, executing and administering all human resource initiatives and in providing human resources and operational support to all departments. Reporting to the Executive Director, the director will also be responsible for the front-line and operations management of the organization. By developing and implementing various systems that meet our strategic priorities, the director will be responsible for maintaining positive relationships with vendors, clients, and internal staff that will help the Space Centre to function effectively and efficiently and meet its long-term objectives.
An entrepreneurial mindset and strategic intent are necessary.
As a member of the Centre’s Senior Leadership Team, the Director of Human Resources and Operations will demonstrate:
· Fully participates with senior leadership and the board in setting strategy and policy;
· Creates an operational strategy which fully engages the organization in its execution to deliver increased revenue to the Centre’s strategic priorities;
· Acts on behalf of the Centre in business, civic and community organizations to foster, build and grow relationships with internal and external audiences;
· Seeks and inspires excellence and impact in all endeavours.
Human Resources Excellence
· Research, implement and administer all company benefit plans and payroll; develop and maintain human resources systems that meet regulatory personnel information needs; maintain policies and procedures and provide guidance and interpretation to leadership team and staff;
· Maintain in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to human resources; reduce legal risks and ensure regulatory compliance; maintain knowledge of industry trends and make recommendations to senior leadership and Board of Directors for improvement of organization’s policies; procedures and practices on personnel matters;
· Conduct full-cycle recruitment of new employees, including placing advertisements, developing contacts with recruiting sources, interviewing, consulting with internal hiring managers and managing orientation and onboarding process;
· Be a point person for all staff regarding human resource matters; manage staff training/development program; oversee performance evaluation procedures and participate in labour relation negotiations.
· Manage and oversee office services functions including administrative equipment and supply requirements; update and maintain operations manuals;
· Play a lead role in office space management, including the anticipation of office space needs and managing office moves; serve as contact person for employees and vendors regarding office operations; track staff requests pertaining to operations and liaise with building property supervisors, engineers, and managers regarding tenant-landlord issues;
· Plays a lead role in health and wellness including serving on several internal committees including occupational health and safety committee, joint labour relations committee, Vanier Park operations committee.
· Provides strategic and operational support to standings committees of the Board (and other committees) as needed;
· Recruits, leads, supervises, coaches and mentors a team of guest services, group and facility sales, and technical staff and contractors who work as a team to achieve mutually agreed performance targets;
· Sets, monitors and reports on human resources and operational goals and metrics that are achieved with the full participation of staff and volunteers;
· Prepares business plans, budgets and authorizes expenditure.
The Centre is a unionized environment. The position carries responsibilities for representing the Centre in the administration and negotiation of the Collective Agreement and for representing the Senior Leadership Team when required.
As a skilled program manager, you are responsible for overseeing and leading the work of a group of people, understanding and delivering full-cycle budgeting and reporting for your department, and demonstrating successful authorship of plans and their execution.
· Demonstrated experience in creating and leading comprehensive human resources programs.
· Knowledge of and experience with front of house operations, special events planning and management.
· Knowledge of MS Office, payroll, accounting and front of house software a plus.
· Experience working with membership-based organizations such as museums, cultural or educational institutions would be an advantage.
· Experience managing, supervising, and motivating staff and volunteers.
· Knowledge of and experience with marketing processes and concepts.
· Ability to establish relationships with community partners.
· Project management, administrative and budget preparation experience required.
· Considerable knowledge and experience in policy, functions, and operations of a non-profit, unionized organization.
Education and Professional Qualifications
· Degree in Business Administration, Human Resources or a related field with at least 5 years in a Human Resources Generalist capacity, Office Management or Operations Management with strategic implementation that demonstrates progressively senior roles.
· Chartered Professional in Human Resources (CPHR) designation and involvement in the Chartered Professionals in Human Resources of BC & Yukon are desirable.
· Goal orientated and an entrepreneurial mindset required.
· Client focused, customer service disposition.
· Excellence in written and oral communications.
· Excellent interpersonal relationships, commitment to working with a diverse staff and adept at employee relations including conflict resolution.
· Highly organized and self-motivated with a demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple projects simultaneously and exercise confidentiality.
· Maintain and communicate a positive attitude.
· Endorses and abides by the standards set by the Human Resources Professionals Association (HRPA).
Please submit application by e-mail no later than 5:00pm Friday, March 31, 2023 to:
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgAPPLY NOW! • DIRECTOR OF HUMAN RESOURCES AND OPERATIONS • H.R. MacMillan Space Centre
Post Date: March 9, 2023 Deadline for Application: March 31, 2023
1100 Chestnut Street
The H.R. MacMillan Space Centre is a non-profit community resource that brings the wonder of space to Earth, while providing a personal sense of ongoing discovery. Through innovative programming, exhibits and activities, our goal is to inspire sustained interest in the fields of earth science, space science and astronomy.