R.J. Haney Heritage Village & Museum is a premier tourist destination located in Salmon Arm, BC, set on forty acres of pioneer farmland with over 30 exhibits for guests to explore. It offers visitors an opportunity to experience history hands-on with activities, tours, and programs such as the Villains and Vittles Dinner Theatre, annual Car Show, High Tea, and Harvest Celebration. Visitors discover the local history in a whole new way. The site features a 150-seat restaurant offering daily menu service and caters to weddings and special events at the Village. The Children’s Museum and Discovery Centre is a one-of-a-kind opportunity for families to engage in playful learning.
The General Manager of R.J. Haney Heritage Village and Museum reports to the Board of Directors of the Salmon Arm Museum and Heritage Association and the Advisory Committee. This person follows the Village Development Plan, market branding, and budget set out by the Board of Directors and works with the SAMHA Board for fundraising and donations. They look for funding opportunities and write funding applications for the organization’s success, including Canada Summer Jobs and Young Canada Works. The General Manager maintains a positive and productive relationship with the City of Salmon Arm, the SAMHA Board, donors, volunteers, and visitors. Due to the seasonal nature of the operations, the General Manager is expected to have a heavier workload and longer hours from May to September, with more flexibility in the off-season.
· Attend monthly meetings to report to the SAMHA Board and its committees
· Manage a team of workers from all departments
· Oversee how each department and team work together
· Create and advertise job postings; interview, hire, and train seasonal staff
· Interact with customers, vendors, and donors directly
· manages the financial aspects of the business, ensuring costs are controlled and stay within the budget
· Prepare project plans and delegate assignments to self-directed teams. Set schedules and manage project milestones and deadlines
· Prepare the staff and the operation for the future, including attracting customers, boosting competitive advantage, and improving profits
· Willingness to adapt and respond to needs as they arise
Qualifications and skills:
· Minimum of two years experience in management and a familiarity with the tourism industry. A Bachelor of Business Administration with a focus on tourism would be an asset
· Experience in the not-for-profit sector and writing grant and funding applications would be an asset
· Ability to positively lead and teach employees and resolve conflict
· Understanding of the various computer systems and software used throughout the organization
· Marketing and social media management
· Willingness to learn from other long-term staff and the Board as they become familiar with the organization
· Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and make decisions quickly and decisively
· Strong written and communication skills, including public speaking
A Criminal Record Check, including a Vulnerable Sector Check, is mandatory before confirmation of employment.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
You must be willing to follow laws, regulations, policies and procedures:
• The Workers Compensation Board regulations
• R.J. Haney Heritage Village and Museum Health and Safety Policy
• R.J. Haney Heritage Village and Museum policies, procedures and Code of Conduct
• Adherence to the Job Performance Expectations of the position
• Adherence to R.J. Haney Heritage Village and Museum Hiring Manual
• Performance of all operational duties based upon industry standards and guided by the
Occupation Health and Safety regulations
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those being considered will be contacted.
To apply, address your email with your resume, cover letter and references to the President of the Salmon Arm Museum and Heritage Association at email@example.comAPPLY NOW! • GENERAL MANAGER • R.J. Haney Heritage Village & Museum
Post Date: August 11, 2022 Deadline for Application: August 15, 2022
751 Highway 97B
RJ Haney Heritage Village and Museum is a 40-acre park owned by the City of Salmon Arm, and operated by the Salmon Arm Museum and Heritage Association.
The forty acre site includes a local Museum and Heritage Village comprising fourteen buildings, one is the Haney House original to the property, seven others are relocated community-valued heritage structures, and the remaining six buildings are replicated structures. The pastoral farmland is situated east of Salmon Arm. The facility is used by residents of Salmon Arm and area and tourist traveling to the area as a heritage tourist destination.
The facility is home to the Salmon Arm Museum, the Ernie Doe Archives Room, the Heritage Village, Sprig of Heather restaurant, and also boasts 2.34 km of beautiful walking trails. During the summer season, the park also hosts the ever-popular Villains and Vittles Dinner Theatre, with show during July and August.