Rocky Mountaineer (RM) is the world’s largest privately-owned luxury passenger rail service. We are committed to living our values: Create Meaningful Moments, Be One Team, Achieve Extraordinary Outcomes.
The Lead Guest Experience Specialist (Lead GES) reports to the Station Management Team.
This position is responsible for providing excellence in guest satisfaction through direct service to guests at the assigned destination. The Lead GES is a problem-solving champion, empowered to make decisions on behalf of the company. Additionally, the Lead GES supports the Station Management Team in executing Ground Operations and will provide leadership and operational coverage in the absence of station management as required. As such, the Lead GES will learn and be involved in all aspects of station operations including training and coaching.
This position is deemed Safety Sensitive since regular access to an active railway area is required. The Lead GES is part of the Destinations Ground Operations (DGO) team responsible for the health and safety of colleagues, guests, the public, property, and the environment.
Key Areas of Accountability
• Work as part of Station Management to prepare, organize, oversee, and execute the daily operations of the station.
• Be well versed in RM products and respond knowledgeably to guest questions related to their trip
• Monitor and action communication channels (e.g. station email inbox, personal RM email, voice messages, telegram, MS Teams)
• Work with Guest Experience Centre (GEC), Onboard team, and external partners to resolve guest concerns in a timely and professional manner.
• Prepare documentation and reports concerning daily operations
• Maintain station supplies inventory (e.g. luggage tags, office supplies), communicating with the designated team members or partners to order and replenish as required
• Respond to questions from external partners
• Accurately document and communicate concerns from guests, Onboard team, internal and external partners, and resolve or escalate as required
• Liase with Onboard team and GEC in planning for special guest requirements, including accessibility and/or overnight needs; ensuring the team is appropriately directed and trained to provide specialized services required
• Order transportation (e.g. taxis, ride share) as required
• Maintain station/siding aesthetics in line with the RM standard by cleaning platform and public areas and restocking supplies
• Assist with station/siding traffic flow as required by guiding motor coaches, luggage trucks and directing guests and public
• Perform safe tagging, sorting, scanning, loading, unloading, and delivery of guest luggage, as well as preparing luggage reports and managing misdirected luggage
• Preparation of motorcoach manifests and verification of guest counts
• Assist guests with safe boarding and offboarding of vehicles, transportation to and from station/sidings, use of mobility equipment, movement around stations/sidings, and provide relevant safety commentary
• Escort guests by motorcoach/shuttle to/from partner hotels/sidings, and providing commentary enroute when required
• Escort guests on transfer and provide commentary enroute as required
• Assist or step in as an On-Duty Manager whenever required to run daily operations in the absence of a Station Manager
• Transportation of guests and team members with use of Rocky Mountaineer vehicles.
Leadership and Engagement
• Foster a safe and respectful workplace for team members that promotes a positive and engaging environment enabling team members to live and breathe RM’s vision and values.
• Provide supervision and direction to the team, assign duties, communicate the operational requirements, and monitor the performance of all assigned duties to ensure effective utilization of team
• Work with station management to enhance standard operating procedures by participating in meetings and recommending improvements to RM’s guest experience program
• Audit team members, partners, and operations to provide feedback and improve performance and guest experience where required
• Build strong relationships with front-line team members, managers and with internal and external partners
• Help build a strong Destinations Team through effective motivation, recognition, and coaching of team members to achieve goals
• Support Station Management in development and execution of recruitment, orientation, and training of team members
• Effectively represent the RM brand, by adhering to and ensuring the standards established in the Uniform and Appearance Policy
Safety and Security
• Adhere to RM’s safety and security standards so that safety hazards and concerns are mitigated/reduced for RM guests, team members, and partners
• Be proactive in building awareness and enhancing a culture of workplace safety
• Assist station management in the execution of Destinations safety and emergency response procedures during irregular or emergency operations which could require travel to other locations
• Report all injuries and near misses to the On-Duty Manager and support the investigation of all workplace accidents as well as the completions of the necessary paperwork in a timely and accurate manner
• Attend health and safety meetings during the regular season as required
• Conduct daily safety and hazard assessments, audits every shift to ensure compliance with safety programs
Rocky Mountaineer (RM) is committed to the safety and health of our team members through providing a safe working environment. As a federally regulated transportation organization, we have a duty to comply with all applicable legislative requirements.
• Certificate in Tourism, Hospitality, Travel or related field desired
• Valid AB or BC Driver’s License desired with demonstrated safe driving record.
• Second language desired
• Experience in tourism, hospitality, and/or customer service desired
• 1-2 years of supervisory experience desired
• Demonstrates a polished leadership presence
• Professional communication skills, both verbal and written
• Confidence and competency with public speaking in front of large groups and/or on microphones
• Strong time management and administrative skills
• Ability to multitask and take initiative
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Demonstrate a professional, accountable, and responsible work ethic
• Ability to work in a high volume and high demand environment
• Ability to handle difficult scenarios and conversations in a calm, consistent and professional manner
• Highly organized with strong attention to detail
• Energetic, motivated, hardworking and committed to guest service
• Proficient with MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
• Ability to adapt to new technology and learn platforms
Work Environment/Physical Requirement
• Schedule regularly includes early mornings, evenings, weekends, and split shifts as per train arrival/departure schedules. Overtime may be required for irregular operations or delays
• Requires work in a Safety Sensitive environment including railway tracks, moving trains, and other vehicles
• Requires outdoor work in a variety of weather conditions
• Ability to safely lift 50 pounds and to repeatedly carry and safely load luggage into a transport truck
• Must be entitled to work in Canada for the full duration of the operating season (April-October)
• Must be 18 years of age or older to apply
Post Date: January 23, 2023 Deadline for Application: March 2, 2023
1100 - 980 Howe Street
Our reason for working at Rocky Mountaineer is simple – to be the creators of life-changing experiences, not just for our guests, but also for our team members. Join us at Rocky Mountaineer and build your career alongside an incredibly talented global team of passionate, energetic, diverse, and fun individuals who have helped shape our Canadian success story and have positioned us as the world-renowned leader in luxury train travel.
National Geographic called a Rocky Mountaineer rail journey one of the ‘World’s Greatest Trips.’ We couldn’t agree more. Our secret to success? Our people. At the end of the day, our eight World Travel Awards mean nothing without the talented and diverse team of people who are entrepreneurial in spirit, passionate about service excellence and continually looking to raise the bar.