Rocky Mountaineer (RM) is the world’s largest privately-owned luxury passenger rail service. We are committed to living our values: Create Meaningful Moments, Be One Team, Achieve Extraordinary Outcomes.
The Guest Experience Specialist (GES) reports to the Station Management team.
This position is responsible for providing excellence in guest satisfaction through direct service to guests at the assigned destination. The GES is a problem-solving champion, empowered to make decisions on behalf of the company.
This position is deemed Safety Sensitive since regular access to an active railway area is required. The GES is part of the Destinations Guest Operations (DGO) team, responsible for the health and safety of colleagues, guests, the public, property, and the environment.
Key Areas of Accountability
• Execute the daily operations of the station to provide world-class service to guests.
• Be well versed in RM products and respond knowledgeably to guest questions related to their trip
• Monitor and action communication channels (e.g. station email inbox, personal RM email, voice messages, MS Teams)
• Prepare documentation, manifests, supplies, for daily operations
• Greet guests, answer questions, and provide direction to ensure smooth transfers to/from the train
• Accurately document and communicate concerns from guests, Onboard team, internal and external partners, and resolve or escalate as required
• Deliver special guest requirements, including accessibility needs, as required
• Order transportation (e.g. taxis, ride share) as required
• Operate equipment for guests requiring mobility assistance (e.g., mobility lift)
• Maintain station/siding aesthetics in line with the RM standard by cleaning platform and public areas and restocking supplies
• Assist with station/siding traffic flow as required by guiding motor coaches, luggage trucks and directing guests and public
• Perform safe tagging, sorting, scanning, loading, unloading, and delivery of guest luggage, as well as preparing luggage reports and assisting with misdirected luggage
• Escort guests by motorcoach/shuttle to/from partner hotels/sidings, and providing commentary enroute when required
• Assist in the collection and sorting of guest hotel keys prior to train arrival
• Occasional transportation of guests and team members with use of Rocky Mountaineer vehicles
Leadership and Engagement
• Foster a safe and respectful workplace for team members that promotes a positive and engaging environment enabling team members to live and breathe RM’s vision and values.
• Effectively communicate with team members through various channels including verbal, phone, text, email, and proper use of radio communication
• Work with station management to enhance standard operating procedures by recommending improvements to RM’s guest experience program
• Build strong relationships with peers, managers and with internal and external partners
• Participate in building a strong Destinations Team through peer recognition, motivation, and working towards achieving goals
• Support Station Management in execution of orientation, and training of team members
• Effectively represent the RM brand, by adhering to and ensuring the standards established in the Uniform and Appearance Policy
Safety and Security
• Adhere to RM’s safety and security standards so that safety hazards and concerns are mitigated/reduced for RM guests, team members, and partners
• Be proactive in building awareness and enhancing a culture of workplace safety
• Assist station management in the execution of Destinations safety and emergency response procedures during irregular or emergency operations which could require travel to other locations
• Report all injuries and near misses to the On-Duty Manager and support the investigation of all workplace accidents as well as the completion of the necessary paperwork in a timely and accurate manner
Rocky Mountaineer (RM) is committed to the safety and health of our team members through providing a safe working environment. As a federally regulated transportation organization, we have a duty to comply with all applicable legislative requirements.
• Certificate in Tourism, Hospitality, Travel or related field desired
• Valid AB or BC Driver’s License desired with a demonstrated safe driving record
• Second language desired
• Experience in tourism, hospitality, and/or customer service desired
• Demonstrates a polished leadership presence
• Professional communication skills, both verbal and written
• Confidence and competency with public speaking in front of large groups and/or on microphones
• Strong time management and administrative skills
• Ability to multitask and take initiative
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Demonstrate a professional, accountable, and responsible work ethic
• Ability to work in a high volume and high demand environment
• Ability to handle difficult scenarios and conversations in a calm, consistent and professional manner
• Highly organized with strong attention to detail
• Energetic, motivated, hardworking and committed to guest service
• Proficient with MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
• Ability to adapt to new technology and learn platforms
Work Environment/Physical Requirement
• Schedule regularly includes early mornings, evenings, weekends, and split shifts as per train arrival/departure schedules. Overtime may be required for irregular operations or delays
• Requires work in a Safety Sensitive environment including railway tracks, moving trains, and other vehicles
• Requires outdoor work in a variety of weather conditions
• Ability to safely lift 50-70 pounds and to repeatedly carry and safely load luggage into a transport truck
• Must be entitled to work in Canada for the full duration of the operating season (April-October)
• Must be 18 years of age or older to apply
Post Date: January 23, 2023 Deadline for Application: March 2, 2023
1100 - 980 Howe Street
Our reason for working at Rocky Mountaineer is simple – to be the creators of life-changing experiences, not just for our guests, but also for our team members. Join us at Rocky Mountaineer and build your career alongside an incredibly talented global team of passionate, energetic, diverse, and fun individuals who have helped shape our Canadian success story and have positioned us as the world-renowned leader in luxury train travel.
National Geographic called a Rocky Mountaineer rail journey one of the ‘World’s Greatest Trips.’ We couldn’t agree more. Our secret to success? Our people. At the end of the day, our eight World Travel Awards mean nothing without the talented and diverse team of people who are entrepreneurial in spirit, passionate about service excellence and continually looking to raise the bar.