Your exciting new role is waiting for you onboard the Rocky Mountaineer. Our world-renowned luxury train travels from Vancouver through Kamloops to Lake Louise/Banff as well as to Jasper, Alberta.
Joining our Onboard team at Rocky Mountaineer means surrounding yourself with great people, achieving extraordinary outcomes and making life changing experiences not only for our guests but each other.
Join Our Team.
The Onboard Host reports to the Guest Services Manager (GSM). The position is accountable for delivering service excellence to onboard guests, including meals, storytelling, and sales enabling the creation of life changing experiences
This position is deemed Safety Sensitive. This position requires the incumbent to periodically access an active railway area where impaired performance could result in a significant incident affecting the health and safety of team members, guests, team members, the public, property, or the environment
Key Areas of Accountability
Deliver the onboard guest experience service.
• Create a welcoming environment for our guests to feel welcomed and valued by anticipating their needs, being attentive, and providing a high-quality guest experience
• Resolve guest-related concerns by listening with empathy and provide timely resolution
• Initiate guest contact and nurture the relationship for the duration of the trip
• Prepare and deliver the beverage, meal, and snack services per established standard operating procedures (SilverLeaf or GoldLeaf) in a positive, polished, and professional manner
• Prepare coaches as required for guest service (blankets, galley set up, and cart preparation)
• Clean and stock coaches, galleys, and washrooms to set standards during travel and at the end of each trip
• Maintain correct inventory levels and reconcile as required during travel and at the end of each trip
• Assist guest merchandise transactions as per Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
Provide consistent and engaging storytelling to Rocky Mountaineer (RM) guests.
• Provide enthusiastic, consistent, factual, and engaging storytelling to RM guests by pointing out areas of interest and pertinent information regarding the route and history of the region in alignment to the Storytelling manual
High level of awareness for the health and safety of both guests and crew.
• Adhere to onboard safety protocols
• Comply with railway safety standards
• Report any damage or hazards to onboard management
• Report any violations or hazards to onboard management
Education / Certifications / Knowledge
• Serving It Right (SIR) required
• Fluency in English language
• Proficiency in Mandarin, German, Spanish, and French considered an asset
• Service delivery in a full-dining (food and beverage), luxury/fine-dining establishment desired
• Experience with public speaking or engaging with large audiences (70+ people); theatre, acting or tour-guide experience an asset
• Solid communication and interpersonal skills
• Solid public speaking skills and ability to deliver storytelling to 72 guests
• Solid serving and hosting skills
• Demonstrates empathy and compassion when interacting with guests
• Maintains a professional and polished appearance
• Energetic, motivated, hardworking and committed to delivering guest service excellence
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Demonstrates a professional, accountable work ethic; self-motivated
• Ability to work consecutive long days(10+ hours)
• Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds
• Able to travel away from home base for up to 4-6 days at a time
• Valid form of ID for domestic travel requirements (passport, driving license etc)
• Must be legally allowed to work in Canada for the duration of the operating season (April – October)
Post Date: January 23, 2023 Deadline for Application: March 1, 2023
1100 - 980 Howe Street
Our reason for working at Rocky Mountaineer is simple – to be the creators of life-changing experiences, not just for our guests, but also for our team members. Join us at Rocky Mountaineer and build your career alongside an incredibly talented global team of passionate, energetic, diverse, and fun individuals who have helped shape our Canadian success story and have positioned us as the world-renowned leader in luxury train travel.
National Geographic called a Rocky Mountaineer rail journey one of the ‘World’s Greatest Trips.’ We couldn’t agree more. Our secret to success? Our people. At the end of the day, our eight World Travel Awards mean nothing without the talented and diverse team of people who are entrepreneurial in spirit, passionate about service excellence and continually looking to raise the bar.