JULY 4th Start Dates Your exciting new role is waiting for you onboard the Rocky Mountaineer. Our world-renowned luxury train travels from Vancouver through Kamloops to Lake Louise/Banff as well as to Jasper, Alberta.
Salary is $20.00 an hour plus gratuities. You are also eligible for our Health Care Spending Account.
Joining our Onboard team at Rocky Mountaineer means surrounding yourself with great people, achieving extraordinary outcomes and making life changing experiences not only for our guests but each other.
Join Our Team.
Reporting to the Guest Services Manager, the Galley Host position is responsible for preparing all meals and delivering an excellent service and culinary experience to our onboard guests, thereby enabling the creation of life changing experiences.
This position is deemed Safety Sensitive. This position requires the incumbent to periodically access an active railway area where impaired performance could result in a significant incident affecting the health and safety of team members, guests, team members, the public, property, or the environment.
Key Areas of Accountability
Guest Engagement and Food Preparation Duties:
• Comfortable engaging and interacting with guests to ensure their understanding of the menu and proper order taking.
• Able to understand and follow up with guests regarding food allergies and dietary requirements.
• Responsible for preparing dishes and ensuring all items served to our guests follow the pre-established recipes, plating specifications, and menus while completing service in a timely manner.
• Provide fast and efficient sanitation of all dishes and equipment to support daily services.
• Keep workstation and storage areas clean and organized.
• Maintain inventory of food, supplies, products, and equipment according to procedures.
• Able to assist Onboard Hosts during breaks with guest engagement.
• Adhere to food safety and proper food handling procedures.
• Abide by best practice standards for cleaning procedures, equipment maintenance, utensil sanitizing, proper refrigeration, heating requirements, hand washing, preventing cross-contamination, spoilage, temperature guidelines, and disposal.
• Maintain cleanliness and sanitization of all kitchen equipment and workstation areas.
• Report safety issues to your supervisor in a timely manner.
• Comply with railway safety standards.
• Work closely with other hosts to provide seamless services and address any guest issues.
• Help your team members as required and communicate regarding inventory, cleanliness, safety, and equipment maintenance.
• Assist with the composting initiatives in your work area.
• Perform other duties as assigned by your supervisor.
• High school diploma or GED
• BC Food Safe certified preferred
• Fluency in English language
• 1-2 years’ experience as a line cook, restaurant cook, or prep cook preferred
• Experience working in a service delivery or customer facing environment, is preferred
• Ability and passion to make delicious and well-presented food
• Demonstrate strong time management and organizational skills
• Ability to multitask; accuracy and speed in executing tasks
• Ability to work with a diverse group of people
• Ability to adapt to a small kitchen galley environment
• Maintains a professional and polished appearance
• Energetic, motivated, hardworking, and committed to delivering culinary excellence
• Demonstrates a professional, accountable work ethic; self-motivated
• Exceptional physical endurance and emotional resiliency with the ability to work long days
• Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds
• Able to travel away from home base for up to 6 days at a time
• Must be legally authorized to work in Canada through the end of October 2022
Rocky Mountaineer (RM) is committed to the safety and health of our team members through providing a safe working environment. As a federally regulated transportation organization, we have a duty to comply with all applicable legislative requirements.
Therefore, all individuals who will start working with RM on November 12, 2021, onwards, will be required to present proof of vaccination confirming they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to beginning their employment. An individual is fully vaccinated 14 days after receiving their second dose of a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series or their first dose of a one-dose approved vaccine by Health Canada. Offers of employment to start work with RM on or after November 12, 2021, will be conditional upon receipt of proof of the job candidate being fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Note: Reasonable accommodations will be considered if they comply with the medical or religious exemptions permitted by applicable federal legislation and ministerial orders.
Post Date: June 15, 2022 Deadline for Application: June 26, 2022
1100 - 980 Howe Street
Our reason for working at Rocky Mountaineer is simple – to be the creators of life-changing experiences, not just for our guests, but also for our team members. Join us at Rocky Mountaineer and build your career alongside an incredibly talented global team of passionate, energetic, diverse, and fun individuals who have helped shape our Canadian success story and have positioned us as the world-renowned leader in luxury train travel.
National Geographic called a Rocky Mountaineer rail journey one of the ‘World’s Greatest Trips.’ We couldn’t agree more. Our secret to success? Our people. At the end of the day, our eight World Travel Awards mean nothing without the talented and diverse team of people who are entrepreneurial in spirit, passionate about service excellence and continually looking to raise the bar.