Full-Time & Long Term Contract
Position: Science Facilitator
Reports to: Managers, Visitor Experience
Well known for fun and flair, Science World makes science learning approachable and captivating through interactive exhibits, live presentations, and hands-on programming. Science World is a BC-based charitable organization that engages the people of British Columbia in STEAM literacy. Our mission is to ignite wonder and empower dreams through science and nature. All Science World employees embody our values: Curious, Playful, Inclusive, Relevant and Collaborative. We also work with our employees to develop our identified core competencies at all levels of the organization.
Reporting to the Visitor Experience Managers, you will provide a range of services and educational programs at Science World and online to the community. As a Science Facilitator, your responsibilities include (but are not limited to), providing daily customer services, facilitating hands-on science activities and gallery interactions, delivering digital and in-person school programs, wowing audiences from stage presentations with awe-inspiring scientific demonstrations, providing animal care, and the implementation of safety and security procedures. You will assist in the smooth operation of all visitor experiences, working in a team to ensure that galleries are well maintained and operational and provide feedback on visitor interactions. As a mentor for High School Work Experience Volunteers, you will provide students with feedback, support, and complete placement evaluations.
After you have become comfortable in the basics of the job, this dynamic position will expand to include a regular, rotating operational role of daily supervisor (In-Charge). In this role, your energy sets the tone for the day. The In-Charge is responsible for creating an hour-by-hour schedule, supervising staff, and constantly monitoring the building to ensure exhibits are operational, and our Visitor Experience Team is supported. You are the problem solving, multitasking, go-to person for the day.
This position requires a full-time commitment of 40 hours per week. Science Facilitators are required to work a non-traditional weekend (i.e. Fri/Sat, Sun/Mon, Tues/Wed) on a rotating schedule. There may occasionally be some evening shifts.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for someone who loves working with people, and is passionate or curious about science. You are a customer service driven team player, who is excited to provide our visitors with friendly, fun, awesome, ‘wow’, memorable experiences. You look forward to interacting with visitors for the majority of your time, providing them with exciting learning opportunities. Through curiosity and playfulness, you will encourage lifelong learning. You are flexible and can understand the Visitor Experience Team’s importance in Science World’s daily operations, helping to ensure a safe, clean, and secure environment. You are comfortable working with colleagues in different departments to help meet our shared goals. You are someone who is comfortable in a leadership role and enjoys supporting others. You feel confident role modelling a positive, solution-focused approach in your daily tasks, and can work as an engaged and collaborative team player.
· A minimum of a High School diploma, post-secondary education (preferred)
· Background in science, interpretation, education, or customer service (preferred)
· Previous experience working in museums, customer service, or other relevant experience
· Leadership or supervisory experience (preferred)
· Must be an engaged, responsive, and respectful team player capable of working in a dynamic team environment
· Friendly personality, excited to meet and engage visitors of all ages
· Experience working with the public
· Proven ability to speak and perform before audiences of varying size and composition
· Previous experience and/or interest in working with early learners
· Strong ability to think logically, methodically, and creatively
· Ability to consistently monitor and encourage safe behaviours
· Experience using video teleconferencing platforms (i.e., Microsoft Teams, Zoom, Google Meet)
· Experience using cash registers, ticket terminals, computerized sales systems, databases, and Microsoft Office considered an asset
· Must be available to work 40 hours per week, 5 days per week, including weekends, holidays, and school breaks, and occasional evenings
· Required to work outside in all weather conditions
· Must be physically able to safely lift at least 12kgs
· Ability to communicate in other languages is considered an asset
Do you feel you haven’t met every requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification in the job posting.
Science World is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment so we strongly encourage you to apply even if you don't believe you meet every single qualification outlined, as you may have transferable skills that would be an asset to our team.
It is conditional on pre-employment at Science World to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Please apply by Thursday, September 22, 2022 via the Science World careers portal: http://scienceworld.ca/jobs
As part of your application, please upload a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references.
* All offers are subject to satisfactory completion of reference and police criminal record checks.
We would like to thank all candidates. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.APPLY NOW! • SCIENCE FACILITATOR • Science World
Post Date: September 8, 2022 Deadline for Application: September 22, 2022
1455 Quebec Street
Science World is a BC-based charitable organization that engages the people of British Columbia in STEAM literacy. Our mission is to ignite wonder and empower dreams through science and nature. All Science World employees embody our values: Curious, Playful, Inclusive, Relevant and Collaborative. We also work with our employees to develop our identified core competencies at all levels of the organization.