The Workforce Profile(s) is an up-to-date and accurate description of the current (2021) tourism and hospitality workforce. These profiles go far beyond a simple sketch of who they are and what they do. Our 11 Workforce Profiles provide detailed demographic information to better understand the nuances of our industry workforce. The Workforce profiles also offer an analysis of how the workforce has changed since the COVID-19 pandemic.
- BC’s Tourism and Hospitality Industry employed approximately 298,000 employees in 2021; of which 45% are employed in the Food and Beverage Sector
- The Tourism and Hospitality sector is a key contributor to the provincial economy; with each region of the province employing at least 10% in the sector
- Did you know that 62% of the industry workforce are employed on a FULL TIME basis?
- 70% of the workforce is PERMANENT
- The average length of employment is 7 years
- More than 50% of the workforce is UNDER 35 years of age
- More than 50% of the workforce have a post-secondary degree or diploma